Monday 9 December 2013

Widgets

The Lazy Chef's Smoothies, Detox, and Everything in Between

Follow my blog with Bloglovin


Chip of The Lazy Chef Lunch Club answers all your questions about this week's Smoothie Bandwagon menu as a continuation of the Pre-Holiday Detox.


Question 1: Can I have my smoothie for dinner or breakfast tomorrow?

Based on my research and traning, smoothies are most potentwhen drank within the hour that It was made. Now this is not to say that whenyou drink it 8 hours after, there will be no more vitamins or nutrients  left. It just means that to get the maximumbenefit, it is best to drink it the soonest possible time.
The second reason (besides this)  why I discouraged some of you to make two orders (one for lunch and the other for dinner)is because I am hoping that you will get into the HABIT of making your own smoothies! ;) Don’t get me wrong, it means the world to me that you have entrusted your health and well-being to The Lazy Chef but it would mean a million times more if some of you would start cooking and preparing healthy meals and smoothies for yourself and your families. :)
Lastly, im sharing with you what my mentor and the resident dietitian in the Dr. Oz show (Kristin Kirkpatrick, RD) told me about this matter:
“Storing juice and smoothies in plastic containers can degrade the antioxidants but that has more to do with time frame, type of plastic and how far away from the vine the fruit was when it was blended.”

Question 2: What is DETOX? And why do we need it?

There has been a lot of misunderstanding about what a detox is. And im not saying that my answer is the only one that you should believe because I am by no means an expert BUT here is how I understand detoxification.
Our body is designed to naturally detoxify any unwanted toxins. The kidneys and our liver effectively filter and eliminate most ingested toxins. So when we mention detoxification, we are really talking about improving and optimizing the function of our body’s own detoxification systems.This is done by  “clean eating”- natural,less- processed, whole foods that are closer to the earth without artificial ingredients. Clean eating decreases the amount of toxins in our body and supplies the nutrients it needs to function properly.  The meals that we have been having for thepast two weeks are filled with ingredients that help accomplish this.
So the main benefit of a detox actually comes from avoiding highly processed foods. So before you go on any detox diet, ask yourself why you’re doing it. ;)

Question 3:  How long before I get hungry?

I have been asked this question even before we did the smoothies. And the truth is it really depends. Are you doing this just to lose weight or are you looking to make a real change? A healthy diet provides at least1,200 to 1,500 calories a day. It is recommended to have 6 small, frequent meals filled with a variety of fruits, vegetables, whole grains and healthy fats rather than 3 big unbalanced meals. The sad thing about it is, I can only control 1/6th of your day and although that is a good start, the real change would come from YOU  and what you have for the other 5 meals (and on weekends). ;)
Experts say “eat before you get hungry”. Now that wouldn’t make much sense when we are trying to lose weight. But the truth is, that is the best advice I have ever received. When we allow ourselves to reach that “point of no return”, we tend to eat whatever is in front of us. (and I do mean WHATEVER). So always have some nuts or a banana with you. Trust me, your body will thank you later.
Lastly,  the reason why I asked all of you before you joined TLC if you were aware that the meals were pre-portioned to fit a 350 caloric diet (even if it was already stated onthe page) is because this really is NOT FOR EVERYBODY. I have heard rumors that people are saying that once you join The Lazy Chef, you’ll end up eating twice. And I am absolutely sure that would happen IF you gobbled your lunch in less than five minutes! Remember that book, “Why French Women Don’t Get Fat”? The secret behind  it is French women take time to really chew, swallow and appreciate the taste and texture of the food thatis in front of them otherwise known as mindful eating. This is why it is discouraged to eat infront of the television or in your car. Because when we are not mindful, we tend to eat more than what our body actually needs. 350calories is more than enough for a meal IF you practice the habit of mindful eating and 6 small meals a day.
Time and time again, you always hear me say that this is not a diet, it is a lifestyle. And there is a method to my madness, trust me. I am not just doing this to make your lives difficult (well, sometimes I do make you eat those small weird things for the fun of it- im just kidding!)
~Thank you for taking the time to read this. If you have any more questions, just drop me a message. I would gladly answer them to the best of my ability. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment